By Jill Fox
Registration has begun for summer camps and The City of Parkland Parks and Recreation Department is offering some great options.
Seven weeks of camp for both elementary and middle school aged children will be offered from kindergarten through 5th grade at Park Trails Elementary, and 6th through 8th grade at Westglades Middle School.
“We are so excited for camp, it’s the best time of the year,” said Molly Simpson, program specialist for the youth programs.
For the first week of summer, campers can attend one of the specialty programs at the Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center (P-REC), like basketball, sports or dance camps, among others. Beginning June 17, they can enjoy a wide variety of games and activities and venture off site to explore Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties.
Children as young as 5 will participate in a variety of themed sessions at Kids Camp, beginning with a welcome week, followed by a science week, featuring a magic show. Other themes include “Holidays in July” and “Carnival,” with two field trips and special activities taking place each week. Children may be dropped off as early as 7:30 a.m., with before and after care included in the price of camp. For parents’ convenience, lunch can be purchased for $5.
Middle school students can attend Travel Camp at Westglades Middle and take a trip every day within the tri-county area. Some popular destinations include Top Golf, Rapids Waterpark, Jungle Island, rock climbing, a Miami speedboat tour and a movie and mall day every other Friday.
The City of Parkland adheres to a 10 to 1 camper to counselor ratio. All counselors are background checked, certified in first aid and CPR and must be 18 or older. Most are college students studying to be teachers. To apply go to: cityofparkland.org/762/Job-Opportunities
They also have volunteer opportunities for interested high school students. cityofparkland.org/764/Volunteer-Opportunities
Space is limited, so don’t wait until the last-minute to sign-up for camp. Parents must register on site at the P-REC, 10559 Trails End. For Kids Camp. Prices start at $220 per week for residents and $260 for non-residents, with discounts for multiple weeks. Travel Camp prices start at $250 per week for residents and $300 for non-residents. Both include one camp t-shirt. For more information, call 954-757-1405 or visit cityofparkland.org/summercamp
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning
- News2020.09.25BSO Units Arrests 4 Suspects after Parkland Car Burglary
- News2020.09.25Parkland Farmers’ Market Returns November 1 with ‘Drive Thru’ Format
- Politics2020.09.24Parkland Commission Votes to Lower Millage Rate For 2021