By Sharon Aron Baron
U.S. Representative Ted Deutch (FL-22) issued a statement in response to social media posts by Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene in which she agreed with a comment that called the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School a “false flag planned shooting.”
“Radical conspiracy theorists cruelly came to our community in the days after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School to outrageously deny that 17 people were killed. It’s infuriating that someone like that was elected to Congress,” he stated.
Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene was elected in November 2020 and represents Georgia’s 14th Congressional District. She has voiced support for conspiracy theories, including Pizzagate, QAnon, and the “Clinton Kill List.”
Rep. Deutch said the community was devastated by the tragedy. Doing anything other than expressing support for the families and survivors is insensitive, offensive, and shockingly inappropriate for a Congress member. It is especially dangerous when lies like these come from people in positions of power and influence.
“Sadly, Representative Greene’s dangerous rhetoric extends even beyond our community. She’s promoted many other conspiracy theories, including QAnon and its racist and antisemitic rhetoric. She has also become infamous for refusing to wear a mask in the Capitol and for supporting Trump’s lie that the election was stolen from him, which led to the attack on the Capitol.”
He stated Representative Greene should disavow these comments and added she should apologize to everyone that she has offended, and, most importantly, she should tell her followers the truth. The truth that 17 people were murdered at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in a mass shooting. The truth that QAnon is a dangerous conspiracy theory. And the truth that Joe Biden will be inaugurated on January 20 because he won the election and that President Trump’s lies undermine our democracy.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.07.29Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- News2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- News2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31