By: Matt Rothman
The Eagles had a crazy regular season with multiple games canceled due to COVID-19 and came into the playoffs as the five seed. They won three straight games to earn a District Championship. MSD started by beating Coral Springs High School 6-3 in the opening round. After that, the Eagles defeated the top-seeded Deerfield Beach 2-1 in overtime.
In the championship game, MSD received a tremendous job from their backline and their goalkeeper, Bruno De Falco, while Gabe Gersberg scored the lone goal in regulation before Irimi scored in overtime.
For Head Coach Christian Chacon, it was his first District Championship with MSD after they fell last year to the Jaguars. For him, this win meant a lot to him and his players.
“It feels great but especially for the boys,” Coach Chacon said. “I am so happy for them, and they worked hard, and they gave everything they had, and it paid off, and they got the win.”
MSD moved to 7-3 on the season after starting the season 0-2. They will have some time off as they prepare for regionals and hope to make a long run later this month.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States