By: Matt Rothman
For the third straight season and 23rd time in school history, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls soccer team won the District Championship following their 4-0 victory over Coral Glades Monday night.
In what has been a crazy season with all the COVID-19 protocols, the Eagles picked up their sixth win of the season and will advance to regionals later this month as they handed the Jaguars only their second loss of the season.
For Head Coach Laura Rountree, she was happy with her teams performance and is eager for a shot to play in Regionals.
“Coral Glades had an excellent game plan and made it difficult for us to score,” said Rountree. “We were fortunate enough to finally put a few in and get the win.”
Unlike many of their victories earlier in the season, it took the Eagles well into the first half to score their first goal as Kendall Slack gave MSD a 1-0 lead on an assist from Morgan Goldman.
Early in the second half, Francesca Lozano added to the lead, and then shortly later, Alexis Reigel and Mia Engelbart scored goals to make it 4-0 while goaltender Carly Brodsky pitched a shutout in net. Molly Conn also added two assists while Victoria Alvarez and Layla Segelnick added one.
Up next, MSD will have some time off before they prepare for regionals later in February.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States