By Jill Fox
Although the parents at Somerset Parkland Academy haven’t had the opportunity to establish a PTA, they took it upon themselves to plan breakfast to thank the school’s administration, teachers, and staff for their hard work.
“I just wanted to do something to show that the parents appreciate the teachers,” said Student Advisory Chair (SAC) Lucy Williams, who has a daughter in sixth grade and a son in fourth.
Being a new school, Williams said they had to start from scratch. She came up with the idea for breakfast and recruited Odyssa Billings, another parent with three children at Somerset, who agreed to spearhead the event on November 20.
Together, they coordinated the “Thankful Vibes Breakfast” for Somerset’s staff of 48.
Billings said they used the remainder of the funds for thank you cards containing $20 from everyone from the janitors to the school resource officers to show their appreciation.
“They have been working so hard, and we just wanted to say thank you for their dedication from the entire SPAmily [family],” said Billings.
Although 530 students are enrolled from kindergarten through sixth grade, only 60 percent are back in person.
“We don’t get to thank them every day, and it was great to see how we made the teachers’ day amazing,” said Billings. “It meant a lot to them.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.27City Commission Recognizes Contributions of Parkland Residents
- News2021.01.26Registration Open for Relay for Life 5K Through Jan 31
- News2021.01.25Funds Raised at 4th Annual ‘Run 4 Beigel’ Help Children Attend Summer Camp
- News2021.01.25Childhood Friends Open First Catch Seafood & Grill in Parkland