By Jill Fox
Although the parents at Somerset Parkland Academy haven’t had the opportunity to establish a PTA, they took it upon themselves to plan breakfast to thank the school’s administration, teachers, and staff for their hard work.
“I just wanted to do something to show that the parents appreciate the teachers,” said Student Advisory Chair (SAC) Lucy Williams, who has a daughter in sixth grade and a son in fourth.
Being a new school, Williams said they had to start from scratch. She came up with the idea for breakfast and recruited Odyssa Billings, another parent with three children at Somerset, who agreed to spearhead the event on November 20.
Together, they coordinated the “Thankful Vibes Breakfast” for Somerset’s staff of 48.
Billings said they used the remainder of the funds for thank you cards containing $20 from everyone from the janitors to the school resource officers to show their appreciation.
“They have been working so hard, and we just wanted to say thank you for their dedication from the entire SPAmily [family],” said Billings.
Although 530 students are enrolled from kindergarten through sixth grade, only 60 percent are back in person.
“We don’t get to thank them every day, and it was great to see how we made the teachers’ day amazing,” said Billings. “It meant a lot to them.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- Crime & Safety2021.07.30Meet Local School Resource Officers at ‘Parkland Night Out’ Event
- Events2021.07.29Register For Inspiring Professional Women’s Alliance Luncheon Featuring State Rep. Hunschofsky
- Events2021.07.28Parkland Little League Holds Free Pitch, Hit and Run Competition
- News2021.07.28Parkland Awarded $1.5 Million Grant For Future 36-Acre Park