By: Matt Rothman
It was a fantastic season for the Westglades Middle School boys soccer team under first-year Head Coach Danny Gurr.
After attending Westglades and graduating from Marjory Stoneman Douglas in 2017, Coach Gurr led his team to a 6-2 record. He is now in his first year teaching seventh grade Language Arts at Westglades.
“It was more than I could have expected,” said Coach Gurr. “The chemistry that this team naturally had and their enthusiasm for the game is what I’ll remember most.”
The Wolves consisted of 18 players in Andre Gonzalez, Aquiles Yibirin, Brandon Tessler, Edison Garzon, Ethan Winter, Jackson Gibney, Joshua Costa, Justin Douglas, Logan Matus, Matthew Rodriguez, Nathaniel Windesheim, Nickolas Viana, Samuel Sarria, Sergio Carbone, Thiago Cardoso, Wesam Zayed as well as captains Cooper Roth and Josh Lieberman.
Tessler and Rodriguez were the top scorers this year, while Westglades defeated Millennium Middle School 7-0 in the opening round.
While the Wolves will have several players graduate this year, they will still return many key players heading into the 2022 season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.213 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Shine During MLK Holiday Weekend
- News2022.01.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Star Offensive Lineman Aris Skarecki Makes College Pick
- News2022.01.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestling Teams Wins 2nd Coral Springs Dual Tournament This Season
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game