By Bryan Boggiano
The Parkland city commission recognized five students participating in the city’s inaugural Youth Ambassador Program, rewarding each with $2,500 scholarships.
Charlotte Canter, Arya Gujarathi, Angelina Kennedy, Macy Meis, and Ava Rannazzisi each received the honors at the commission’s Wed., May 17, meeting.
The city created the Youth Ambassador Program to increase youth civic engagement and involvement. According to the city’s website, program participants serve as liaisons, discuss youth-related issues, and get the opportunity to learn about municipal government.
Throughout the year, they had to opportunity to gain experience in public service through their work in the community, school, and municipal government events, where they volunteered at city events and helped with local projects.
Each of the five participants also had the chance to attend city commission and other meetings, learn about the various departments within the city, and work with the mayor, city commissioners, and the city manager.
Incoming juniors who are Parkland residents are eligible to join the program. Students interested must have a 3.0 GPA, write an essay on the importance of local governance, and attend each of the Youth Ambassador Program meetings.
From the applicants, the city narrows the participant list to five.
Besides the scholarships, each of the five students earned 90 service hours from participating in the Youth Scholarship Program.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 Award-Winning News Source, Parkland Talk. Don’t miss reading Coral Springs Talk, Margate Talk, and Tamarac Talk.
- A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan plans to pursue geosciences at Florida International University for his master's. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.
- News2023.06.08Parkland Commission Selects Top Developer for Luxury Homes on Iconic Golf Course Land
- News2023.06.06Parkland City Commission to Evaluate 3 Luxury Residential Proposals for Former Heron Bay Golf Course
- News2023.05.26Rep. Jared Moskowitz Reintroduces Legislation To Lower Homeowners Insurance Costs
- News2023.05.24Parkland City Commission Recognizes 5 Youth Ambassador Scholarship Recipients