In February 2021, Rep. Christine Hunschofsky presents HB 217 in Honor of Kristin Jacobs
By Sharon Aron Baron
On Thursday, the Florida House unanimously passed House Bill 217 to rename the Southeast Coral Reef Ecosystem Conservation area after the late State Rep. Kristin Jacobs.
A nationally recognized champion and tireless advocate for protecting Florida’s environment, Kristin Jacobs lost her battle with cancer last April.
District 96 successor Rep. Christine Hunschofky D-Parkland said it was her privilege to carry the bill in the Florida House to honor her friend Kristin.
“Her name will forever be seen off the coast of Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties from the St. Lucie Inlet to Biscayne National Park. This will be a beautiful memorial to a very special Broward County champion,” she said.
Jacobs served on the Broward County Commission for 16 years, including a term as county mayor, and was twice elected to the Florida House of Representatives.
Hunschofsky said while the bill went through the committee process, expressions from both sides of the aisle “have been truly heartwarming.”
The Southeast Florida Coral Reef Ecosystem Conservation Area was established in 2018 and includes the sovereign submerged lands and state waters offshore of Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties from the northern boundary of the Biscayne National Park to the St. Lucie Inlet.
House Bill 217 now goes to the Senate for a vote where Senator Lauren Book D-Plantation, has sponsored the companion bill.
Hunschofsky said, “The bill is a fitting tribute to honor her legacy as an advocate for Florida’s environmental assets.”
Rep. Christine Hunschofsky represents District 96, which includes Coconut Creek, Parkland, a majority of Margate, and the north and east area of Coral Springs.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.10.19Orange Ribbons for Jaime Holds 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.10.03Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! Holds 2nd Annual Telethon
- News2021.09.28Orange Ribbons for Jaime Launches 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.09.27Heron Bay Board Holds Town Forum on Golf Course Development