By: Sharon Aron Baron
An emergency order has been issued deeming all nonessential retail, and commercial business locations are ordered closed — except to the extent necessary to perform the minimum basic operation.
Broward County County Administrator Bertha Henry signed the order on March 22, 2020.
The emergency order does not include healthcare providers, public health operations, hospitals doctors, dentists’ offices, urgent care centers, clinics, rehabilitation facilities physical therapists, mental health professionals, labs, blood banks, medical cannabis facilities, eye care centers, home healthcare service providers, medical transport or pharmacies.
This order also does not include grocery stores, businesses engaged in food cultivation, companies that provide food, shelter and social services, or the media.
- Gas stations, and new and used automobile dealerships and auto repairs.
- Banks and related financial institutions, including insurance firms.
- Contractors and other tradespeople, including home security firms, fire and water damage restoration, public adjusters, appliance repair, exterminators —- and all other service providers who provide service that is necessary to maintain safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences.
- Business providing mailing, logistics, pick-up, and shipping.
- Private colleges and trade schools and technical colleges, but only as needed to facilitate online or distance learning.
- Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers.
- Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food — but subject to the limitations and requirements of the Governor’s Executive Orders.
- Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers.
- Home-based care for seniors adults or children.
- Assisted living facilities.
- Legal or accounting services.
- Landscape and pool care businesses
- Logistics providers, including warehouses, trucking, consolidators.
- Childcare facilities. Childcare must be carried out in stable groups of ten or fewer children, and child care providers shall not change from one group to another. If more than one group of children is cared for at one facility, each group shall be in a separate room. Groups shall not mix or interact with each other. All play equipment used by one group of children must be cleaned and sanitized before use by another group of children. Any child exhibiting symptoms consisted of COVID-9 illness shall not be allowed to stay in the childcare facility.
- Telecommunication providers
- Propane or natural gas providers
- Businesses engaged in the provision of office space and administrated support necessary to perform any of the above-listed actives
- Open constructions sites
- Architecture. Engineering or land surveying series
- Factories or manufacturing facilities
- Waste management services
- Hotels and motels and vacation rentals shall not accept new reservations for a person other than essential lodgers such as healthcare professionals, first responders, National Guard, law enforcement, etc.
- Businesses operating at any airport, seaport, or other governmental facilities.
- Mortuaries and funeral homes
- Firearm and ammunition supplies
- Businesses providing services to any local state or federal government in response to COVID-19
- Any business that employs five or fewer persons where employees do not come in regular contact with the general public and can comply with social distancing.
- Electrical production and distribution
- Moving, Storage and relocation series
This order goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Monday, March 23, 2020, and affects Parkland residents along with the rest of Broward County.