By: Sharon Aron Baron
Congressman Ted Deutch, who voted in favor of the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump said he did so to protect “our elections, our democracy, and our Constitution.”
He said he had an obligation to uphold his oath of office to the Constitution and stated that he has sat through hours of testimony from fact witnesses, read through hundreds of pages of evidence and legal analysis, and consulted with constitutional scholars to determine whether President Trump’s abuses of power amount to impeachable offenses. He also heard from thousands of constituents.
“I do not take my vote lightly; this vote on impeachment is one of the most serious votes I will ever cast. But when the President abused his power to solicit foreign interference in our election, when he put his personal and political interests above our national interest, he was cheating the American voters before they even had a chance to vote in the 2020 election. And the President’s obstruction of the United States Congress is unprecedented in our nation’s history.”
On Wednesday, the House voted 230-197 to charge Trump with abuse of power and 229-198 to charge him with obstruction of Congress.
Deutch, who represents Parkland, said American presidential power comes from the people through elections. The Constitution requires that Congress protect those elections.
“Impeachment is the remedy provided by our Constitution for grave moments like today. I voted to impeach President Trump because his abuse of power and obstruction of Congress forced this action to protect our elections, our democracy, and our Constitution.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Parkland’s Farmers’ Market Includes Craft Fair on Sunday
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Holiday Bingo Event Support’s Baseball’s Team’s 2024 Trip to Cooperstown
- NewsNovember 22, 2023SOS Children’s Villages Florida’s ‘The White Ball’ Gala Raises Record $750K for Foster Care Children
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Heron Heights PTO Hosts Annual Holiday Boutique