By Sharon Aron Baron
On February 14, 2018, the community underwent the unthinkable after the deadly massacre in the 1200 building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School killed 17 and injured others.
Students and faculty continue to heal from the trauma of that day, but parents, spouses, siblings who lost a loved one will never fully recover from the hole in their hearts and lives.
Because February 14 falls on a Sunday this year, the staff and students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas have the opportunity to engage in A Day Of Service and Love on Friday, February 12.
The day is intended to give back to our community. It will be a non-academic day for students, and they will not log into Canvas or Teams for instruction.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas developed a range of community service opportunities for students to participate in on-campus while wearing masks and practicing physical distancing and need each parent or guardian to log onto their website at browardschools.com/stonemandouglas.
Some of the choices are:
- Excused Absence on 2/12/2021.
- Participate in a “drive-through” Feeding Our First Responders Breakfast: Students and staff will have the opportunity to hand out breakfast to our local first responders.
- Spending a Mindful Morning with the MSD Mind-Body Club.
- Marjory’s Garden: Students and staff will work on maintaining and improving our on-campus student-created garden.
Campus Beautification: Students and staff will work together on a variety of projects to continue to improve the aesthetics of the campus.
The form must be completed for each student by Friday, January 15. There are four options for ON CAMPUS activities for February 12, 2021, and an option to select an excused absence for the day.
Projects will begin at 7:40 am, like a regular school day, but students will be dismissed from campus at 11:00 am. School buses will run their regular routes on that day, and students must report to campus by 7:40 am. No late arrivals.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.10.19Orange Ribbons for Jaime Holds 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.10.03Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! Holds 2nd Annual Telethon
- News2021.09.28Orange Ribbons for Jaime Launches 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.09.27Heron Bay Board Holds Town Forum on Golf Course Development