By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys basketball remains one of the hottest teams in Broward County after winning two games during their holiday tournament.
The Eagles improved their record to 7-2, their best start since the 2015-16 season when they finished with 17 wins in 25 games.
MSD vs. Bayside
On Tuesday, the Eagle started the tournament with a 76-64 win. Vitor Tavares sparked the rally in the third with his energy despite the team getting off to a slow start on the defensive end. Diego Rodriguez led the team with 21, scoring 16 of the team’s season-high 33 third-quarter points. Nick Fraizer had 13, while Evin Jenkins and Wesley Aurelus had 9.
“Kids like Vitor prove you can be effective in other ways to help your team win,” said head Coach Teddy Lyons. “He really ignited his teammates tonight.”
MSD vs. Somerset Academy
After a day off, the Eagles beat Somerset Academy 73-61. Once again, Diego Rodriguez led the Eagles with 23 points, six rebounds, and five assists points. Wesley Aurelus had 17 points, 11 rebounds, and two blocks, while Sean Sucarichi recorded 12 points and seven rebounds. Brandon GoPaul also chipped in with nine in the win.
“The team is starting to gel and play with trust,” Coach Lyons said. “They don’t care who leads us in scoring. They are focused on winning. We’re gonna work on the things we need to work on, and hopefully, we can continue to improve.”
Next, the Eagles will return to the court on Monday, January 3, against South a Broward High School. The Bulldogs are 5-3 this season after starting the season 4-1. The Eagles will then have games against Coral Springs Charter and Kings Academy to close the week.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.213 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Shine During MLK Holiday Weekend
- News2022.01.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Star Offensive Lineman Aris Skarecki Makes College Pick
- News2022.01.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestling Teams Wins 2nd Coral Springs Dual Tournament This Season
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game