By Kevin Deutsch
Monday’s arrest of a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School freshman on assault charges marked the second time an MSD pupil went after a teacher in recent weeks.
A student at the high school provoked a tussling match with her teacher last month when she tried to wrestle away the teacher’s laptop in an effort to see her grades, law enforcement records show.
According to an incident report from the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the incident happened on Oct. 15 around 12:40 p.m. as MSD teacher Nenita Wild, 48, informed her students of their grades.
The student, who was not charged with a crime and whose name was not made public, “attempted to pry [Wild’s] laptop open while she was closing it,” MSD Assistant Principal Anna Koltunova told BSO, according to the report.
“Mrs. Wild stated that she attempted to close her laptop to prevent [the student] from accessing sensitive private information,” according to the report. “While she was closing the lid to the Broward County School Board ThinkPad laptop…[the student] reached over her to pry the lid open. Mrs. Wild stated that [the student] was strong, and they began to ‘wrestle’ over control of the laptop. It was stated she was trying to pull the laptop away while [the student] was trying to pull the laptop” in the other direction.
“When I asked Mrs. Wild if she was struck or injured and if she required Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Rescue, she replied ‘no’ to all questions,” deputies wrote. “Mrs. Wild indicated that [the student’s] aggressive nature in attempting to pry the laptop from her was disrespectful, and she was shaken and surprised by [the student’s] actions.”
The case did not meet the legal criteria for a battery charge, according to BSO.
The student was suspended and removed from Wild’s class, deputies wrote.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2021.12.06Parkland Crime Update: Paintball Incident And Damage to Holiday Display
- News2021.12.03Marjory Stoneman Douglas Student Arrested for School Shooting Threat
- News2021.11.29Parkland Crime Update: Student Cited for Bringing Alcohol to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
- News2021.11.29Boca Woman Tried to Bribe Her Way Out of Drunk Driving Arrest in Parkland