By: Matt Rothman
Since the day Quentin Short was hired as the head coach of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School football team, he has blossomed his program into one of the best in Broward County.
Short was given a prestigious honor as the Coach of the Week earlier this season and had the opportunity to be recognized on the video board at Sunday’s Miami Dolphins game against the Kansas Chiefs.
“It was an honor to get this award, and I have a great supporting class,” Short said, adding that includes his coaching staff, administration, the Booster Club, and all of his players for putting it all on the line for the team to succeed.
While MSD only played two games this season before being shut down due to COVID-19, Short still led the Eagles to the postseason for the second straight year. They were scheduled to play Christopher Columbus High School, which is currently ranked tenth in the state of Florida in the First Round of the Gold 7A Bracket, but had the game canceled due to a positive Covid-19 test.
The Eagles won both of their regular-season conference matchups. It started with a 14-6 victory over Coral Springs High School and then finished with a 28-3 win over Coral Glades High School.
Short has managed to win ten of his first 13 games in Parkland and has significantly impacted many of his players.
“He has been a great mentor for me,” Quarterback Matt O’Dowd said. “I would be in the weight room, and I would talk about the opposition’s defense with him. He would help break it down and motivate me to be the best I can be.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States