By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas football team was scheduled for a playoff game Friday night against Christopher Columbus High School, but after another positive test on Thursday, the Eagles season came to an end after only two games.
The Eagles won both their matchups this year and had not played a game in 29 days. Their third game was canceled after unplayable field conditions, and then their last two were canceled because of positive COVID-19 tests.
MSD has had a strong year from many of their defensive players. They did not allow an offensive touchdown all season and were led by senior Nick Dobbs on the defensive line, who had 16 tackles, six tackles for a loss, two sacks, and two pass breaks up in two games.
Josh Frais was equally as good on the defensive line and finished second on the team in tackles, while Alex Brotton led the team with three sacks. Jaydin Fernandez and Geovanni Vilsaint had the teams two interceptions.
Offensively, Matt O’Dowd missed part of the game against Coral Springs with an injury but still managed to complete 22-43 passes for 220 yards and throw for three touchdowns.
A.J. Darring, Derek Geffrard, and Christopher Darius rushed for over 100 yards and scored a touchdown behind a great offensive line consisting of University of Miami Commit Michael McLaughlin, Demetri Robinson, Aris Skarecki, Luc Laforge, and Prince Aldeus.
The Eagles will lose nearly two dozen players to graduation but have a strong class coming back next year, as well as the addition of some very talented junior varsity players.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States