By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas’s volleyball season is officially underway, with the Eagles welcoming a new coach, Aidan Gidon.
A 2021 graduate of Monarch High School, Gidon played professionally in Israel and coached youth volleyball for three years before coming to MSD.
The Eagles won their first match against Chaminade Madonna in three sets with impressive performances from outside hitters Addison Walker and Cameron Ulinski. Before that, they also won against Pompano and South Plantation High School in an exhibition tournament.
“We have so much talent on the team this year, and I’m so excited to keep training with them,” Gidon said. “We’re gonna be a problem this season.”
Their team consists of Kennedy Adams, Izzy Cox, Victoria Diaz, Lily Ledbetter, Mariana Mateus, Milla Mercer, Elle Naqvi, Kat Rodrigo, Bekah Sasser, Ulinski, and Walker, with both Savannah Schmidt and Riley Dysktra as team managers.
MSD dropped their second match against South Plantation High School and will next be in action on Monday, August 28, at 4:30 p.m. against Pembroke Pines Charter. The Jaguars went 13-11 last season.
MSD is scheduled to have matches against Park Vista, Fort Lauderdale, Charles W. Flanagan, J.P. Taravella, Cooper City, Northeast, and Western High School this year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Wins 2023 Pig Bowl For 1st Win Under Coach Hindsley
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Coby Mayo Officially Named MVP of the Eastern League
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Westglades Cross Country Dominate in Week 4 Meet
- NewsSeptember 25, 2023Roman Anthony Named Boston Red Sox Minor League Player of the Year