By: Matt Rothman
The boys and girls varsity golf teams from Marjory Stoneman Douglas participated in the Broward County Championship, winning first place.
Undefeated after winning four matches, they earned a win in their first tournament at the Country Club of Coral Springs on May 10.
The boys came in first and had T.J. Thompson, son of former principal Ty Thompson, in first after he shot 70 (-1). His teammate Devan Chahal played with a 74 (+3).
The Eagles also had Ryan Shimony in third, followed by Jayden Thuraisingham in fourth, followed by Michael Sorensen in fifth.
“We are successful because we play well separately but come together as a team to lift each other up and work with each other to improve parts of the game we need to,” said Head Coach Ernie Rospierski.
Cynthia Liu finished in second place overall individually on the girl’s side as she shot a 72 (+1). MSD also had Madison Lenard and Ella Mamane, both shoot an 84, and Cassidy Charles and Giana Ramos, shoot a 91 and 92, respectively.
Head Coach Devin Schaller is extremely proud of his new players despite having a fraction of what a season normally looks like.
“I’m excited for what next year has in store for us and hope we can once again represent Parkland and Broward County as we did last year,” he said.
Up next, both teams will compete in the Tri-County Championships on Monday, May 17, in the season’s final tournament.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Concludes Week With MLK Tournament Win
- News2022.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Wins Regional Championship
- News2022.01.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Soccer Win in District Championship Rematch