By: Sharon Aron Baron
After the senseless massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas that took the lives of so many, an Ohio Aviation company felt compelled to reach out and offer their assistance to the students and the school.
CommutAir, a regional airline headquartered in North Olmsted, Ohio, operating as United Express, felt a scholarship tied to the pursuit of an aviation profession made the most sense.
Lisa Ferm, who is on the Board of Directors of CommutAir Cares, their nonprofit, which financially assists the employees, affiliates, and stakeholders of CommutAir, once worked for many years at the Coral Springs Police Department. She wanted to reach out to the Parkland school so close to her former hometown.
“I grew up in the area and had several friends and family members attend Marjory Stoneman Douglas,” said Ferm.
CommutAir Cares has committed $5,000 to be awarded as a one-time scholarship to a graduating senior who would like to pursue a career in aviation.
College Advisor Ana Farrand was thrilled with the new scholarship opportunity.
“I am grateful to all of the employees at CommutAir who care enough to assist one of our students reach their education goal by providing a scholarship,” she said.
To be considered for the scholarship CommutAir Cares requires a letter of recommendation from a mentor, employer, or teacher, the students’ academic resume, including personal interests. Also, an essay with a minimum of 500 words, maximum of 1000 words, as to why they would like to pursue aviation as a career and in what field of aviation they are interested in pursuing — pilot, mechanic/technician, operations, dispatch, etc.
To apply, all students attending Marjory Stoneman Douglas should contact college/career guidance counselor, Ana Farrand, at email@example.com to receive the scholarship instructions and application directly.
Applications, along with approved documentation, are due by May 1, 2020. Please do not contact CommutAir.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2020.10.27The Parkland Farmers’ Market Features 69 Vendors this Sunday
- News2020.10.26Broward Sheriff’s Office Conducting DUI Operations Halloween Weekend
- Crime & Safety2020.10.23Assault, Battery, and Criminal Mischief This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Pine Trails Park