By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team escaped with a victory on Tuesday night with a 5-4 win on a walk-off hit from Rolando Lujo Tuesday night against McArthur High.
The win was the Eagles’ sixth of the season, and the second one that came on a walk-off as Lujo brought home after a walk to Christopher Rodriguez began the inning.
Lujo, the lone sophomore, became an Eagle after playing varsity baseball with Westminster Academy last season.
“Douglas is a true family over here, and they brought me in and took me in really well,” said Lujo.
Derek Rodriguez was on the mound Tuesday night and pitched well a before departing after five innings, allowing a run in the first inning.
After the Eagles retired in order during the first inning, MSD plated three runs in the second inning.
Jhan Ledezma drove in their first run of the game after Lujo reached on an error. Shortly after, Ledezma was able to steal home before Carter Brady drove in the third run of the game.
Rodriguez faced a bit of trouble in the top of the fifth but left two runners stranded as he was able to get his man to pop out to Coby Mayo at shortstop to finish his night.
However, in the sixth, McArthur scored three runs off of Fernando Rodriguez to tie the game up. Then had a chance to take the lead in the top of the seventh; however, catcher Santiago Ordonez threw out a runner trying to steal third.
The next half-inning, Lujo ended the game with his game-winning hit with Christian Rodriguez Fernando Rodriguez getting the win as the team moved to 6-2 on the year.
“They had the momentum, and I think the big play was Santiago throwing out the runner at third on the steal, and then we found a way,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald.
Up next for the Eagles, they will have a week off before they travel to Cardinal Gibbons High School on Tuesday, March 17, at 4 p.m. Their next home game in Parkland will be on March 19, against the Episcopal School of Jacksonville.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.29Anthony Rizzo Involved in Stunning Trade From Chicago Cubs
- News2021.07.28Former Marjory Stoneman Pitcher Returns Home After Blockbuster Trade
- News2021.07.27Infielder Gavin Conticello Decides Future After Being Selected in MLB Draft
- News2021.07.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Aidan Minott Reveals College Decision