By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls’ soccer team achieved their first season victory while fulfilling another commitment.
The Eagles beat Pompano Beach High School 6-1 in their home opener behind a pair of goals from Layla Segelnick. Alessia Frenquellucci, Emma McGregor, Breanna Gordon, and Neima Bien-Aime also scored to help MSD move to 1-1 on the season. The junior varsity team also won their first game of the season with an 8-0 victory on Thursday.
Adri Hinostroza became the second senior from the soccer team to officially commit and will be attending Pfeiffer University in Misenheimer, NC. She is playing her first year on varsity and says attending a school that offers her a terrific education and athletic environment is extremely exciting.
“I picked based on how the environment was and the size of the school, Hinostroza said. “I believe I made the best choice, and I’m extremely proud of myself.”
Next, MSD will play North Broward Prep on Thursday, November 16, at 6 p.m. The Eagles are 2-0 to start the year and made it to Regionals last season. The boys team, who lost 3-1 on Monday against St. Thomas Aquinas High School, will play Deerfield Beach High School in their next game on November 28 at 5 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win