By: Sharon Aron Baron
More than 300 Broward County public high school students, including two from Marjory Stoneman Douglas, will start college with a scholarship thanks to the Broward Education Foundation.
Both Olivia Feller and Sawyer Garrity of MSD were awarded scholarships. Feller will be attending the University of Florida majoring in computer science, and Garrity will be attending the University of Miami to major in music therapy and songwriting.
More than $1.5 million in college scholarships, ranging from $500 to tuition for four years, were awarded to deserving seniors during Broward Education Foundation’s 2019 Scholarship Award Ceremony.
“Each year, this event highlights the determination of our students to reach for their dreams,” said Broward Education Foundation Executive Director Shea Ciriago. “We also see firsthand the unwavering commitment to education by our donors and Broward Education Foundation’s impact on student achievement. We applaud the hard work, motivation, and dedication of these scholarship recipients.”
Over the last 35 years, Broward Education Foundation, in partnership with the School Board of Broward County, local universities, businesses and community leaders, has awarded more than 6,100 scholarships, totaling more than $15 million.
“With these scholarships, we provide Broward County Public School graduating seniors who have the desire to continue their educational journey with the opportunity to fulfill that dream,” Ciriago added. “Broward Education Foundation will continue to be adept, agile, and responsive to shifting needs in education and our community.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Crime & Safety2020.09.26Parkland Crime Update Through September 21
- Events2020.09.25Celebrating 50 Years of Fire Service with Drive-in Movie Event
- Events2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.21Parkland Mayor Hunschofsky Elected to Florida State House after Challenger Drops Out