By: Sharon Aron Baron
The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has announced this year’s $2,500 Scholarship winners and three students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland have been named.
Joyce Guo, David Wu and Florence Yared were chosen from a talent pool of more than 15,000 Finalists in the 2019 National Merit Scholarship Program.
National Merit $2,500 Scholarship winners are the Finalists in each state judged to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills, and potential for success in rigorous college studies. The number of winners named in each state is proportional to the state’s percentage of the nation’s graduating high school seniors.
These Scholars were selected by a committee of college admissions officers and high school counselors, who appraised a substantial amount of information submitted by both the Finalists and their high schools: the academic record, including difficulty level of subjects studied and grades earned; scores from two standardized tests; contributions and leadership in school and community activities; an essay written by the Finalist; and a recommendation written by a high school official.
This year’s National Merit Scholarship Program began in October 2017 when over 1.6 million juniors in approximately 22,000 high schools took the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT), which served as an initial screen of program entrants.
Last fall, the highest-scoring participants in each state, representing less than one percent of the nation’s high school seniors, were named Semifinalists on a state-representational basis. Only these 16,000 Semifinalists had an opportunity to continue in the competition. From the Semifinalist group, some 15,000 students met the very high academic standards and other requirements to advance to the Finalist level of the competition. By the conclusion of the 2019 program, about 7,600 Finalists will have earned the “Merit Scholar” title and received a total of over $31 million in college scholarships.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.09.21Parkland Mayor Hunschofsky Elected to Florida State House after Challenger Drops Out
- News2020.09.20Parkland Talk Interviews Stacy Kagan and Rich Walker: Candidates for Parkland Mayor
- Crime & Safety2020.09.17Stolen Vehicle and Phone Scam this week in Parkland Crime
- News2020.09.15C.A.R.E. South Florida Holds Kick-Off Event Supporting Small Business