By: Sharon Aron Baron
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Wu has been named a National Merit Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarship winner by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Wu, a Parkland resident, is among the more than 1,000 distinguished high school seniors who have won corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholar awards financed by about 160 corporations, company foundations and other business organizations.
Wu is the recipient of the National Merit Harris Corporation Scholarship. Harris Corporation is a producer of high-technology communication and information processing systems, equipment and components. The company’s products, which are used in voice and video communications, data processing, data communication and graphic communication, are sold worldwide. Harris Corporation supports Merit Scholarship awards for children of its employees.
Most of the National Merit Scholarship awards are renewable for up to four years of college undergraduate study and provide annual stipends that range from $500 to $10,000 per year. Some provide a single payment between $2,500 and $5,000. Recipients can use their awards at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university of their choice.
This is the first announcement of National Merit Scholars in 2019 by National Merit Scholarship Corporation, which will name recipients of National Merit $2,500 Scholarships on May 8, and winners of college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards on June 5 and July 15.
By the conclusion of this year’s competition, about 7,600 academic champions will have won National Merit Scholarships worth more than $31 million.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2020.10.26Broward Sheriff’s Office Conducting DUI Operations Halloween Weekend
- Crime & Safety2020.10.23Assault, Battery, and Criminal Mischief This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Pine Trails Park
- Events2020.10.21Rescheduled: Temporary Closure of University Drive at Hillsboro Boulevard