By Jill Fox
Instead of their annual flagship fundraising luncheon, Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! held a telephone to raise money for breast cancer.
Thirty team members plus over a dozen teens made phone calls and raised close to $100,000 for the Not My Daughter Patient Support Services Center located at the University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Society in Plantation.
Held at the Marriott Coral Springs Hotel & Convention Center, Dedicated callers, including some from New Jersey and Pennsylvania, reached out to friends, family, and past donors requesting contributions.
Denyse Hostig, founder and chairwoman of Not My Daughter, felt their first telethon was a huge success.
The Parkland-based nonprofit organization brings women together for a common purpose—to raise awareness and create a future for their daughters without breast cancer.
“The community, past donors, past guests—all were very happy to donate,” said Hostig.
Of course, the day had its small hiccups, like learning the importance of a wireless microphone, but overall, it worked extremely well.
Hostig said they are already considering the possibility of another telethon in 2021.
“Going forward, if we can’t have a luncheon, we will do a “Telethon 2.0” and try to get more of the map covered,” she said, “We realized we could have taken it nationally.”
If there is a next time, Hostig wants to have more states represented. She said every year, their goal is to raise as much money and awareness as possible.
Hostig said breast cancer never knew how to take a day off before COVID and doesn’t know how to take a day off after.
Donations are always accepted at notmydaughter.org/donate.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.03.02MEDNAX Awards Four $20,000 Scholarships to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Seniors
- News2021.02.28Parkland’s Eats ‘n Beats is Back with Live Music and Food Trucks
- News2021.02.27Don’t Miss Out: Registration Opens March 1 for Parkland Summer Camps
- News2021.02.26Annual Parkland Buddy Sports Golf Classic Returns May 14