By Jill Fox
This year, there are ways for residents of all ages to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday.
The City of Parkland will host a Tribute the late civil rights leader on Monday, January 20, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at the Pine Trails Park Amphitheater.
The special event will feature a ceremony including guest speakers, the history of black music in America, crafts, food trucks, and inspirational local performances to honor the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Parks and Recreation Director Christine Garcia said, “We invite everyone to join us as we commemorate the birthday of American civil rights leader Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and celebrate his life, achievements, and legacy.”
Young Parkland residents have their own opportunity to celebrate Dr. King through writing or art. At the same time, students in Kindergarten through twelfth grade are encouraged to participate in a Martin Luther King Jr. poem and visual arts contest where they can describe their dream for the community and how they will help it come true.
Entries are due Monday, January 13, and winners will be recognized in both categories for each age group at the event at Pine Trails Park.
Interested students can view the application here.
The amphitheater at Pine Trails Park is located at 10555 Trails End, in Parkland. For more information, visit cityofparkland.org/mlk or call 954-757-4105.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Senior Providing Tourniquets For Middle School Classrooms
- News2021.02.24Parkland Soccer U13 Division Taken By Storm
- News2021.02.23Light Bulb May Have Caused Fire in Parkland Home Tuesday
- News2021.02.22Chris Hixon Memorial Run Raises $40,000 For Student-Athlete Scholarships