By: Sharon Aron Baron
Puerto Rico was hit hard by Hurricane Maria and 100 percent of the island reportedly has no power. There is limited running water and communication with residents is minimal as cellphone towers and radars were knocked down. To assist with the relief effort, several residents in Parkland are currently accepting donations which will be flown to Puerto Rico.
Solimar Pizzuto-Pedraza said that mother, sister, brother and grandparents all live in Puerto Rico. Both her and her husband Joe are accepting donations at their home in Heron Bay which they will take to the Ana G. Mendez University – a Puerto Rico based University in Miami Lakes on Sunday, Sept 24th. Anyone interested in donating can text 917-373-2363 to arrange a drop-off time.
Items needed: Batteries, Flashlights, Lanterns, Diapers – baby and adult, baby wipes, baby food, canned food, non perishable food, bottled water, can openers, utensils, paper goods, disinfecting wipes, gloves, first aid supplies/kit, personal hygiene products, bed linens, towels and new or gently used clothing.
Beatriz Brussi of Parkland Golf & Country Club is also collecting items which she will give to Spanish station Radio station Tu 94.9 who is flying them to the island. She is collecting water, canned food, powdered milk and dry food. Contact her at 954-773-5424 to arrange a drop-off.
Dr Sands at Parkland Animal Clinic and Abacus Animal Clinic announced they are a drop-off point for collecting dry pet foods to be shipped there. Their address is: 7871 N University Dr Parkland Commons.
Tania Barroso of Watercrest will get together on Friday evening with neighbors between 7:00 pm. – 10 p.m. and people can stop by to drop off their donations there. Call 646-732-3859.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.10.19Orange Ribbons for Jaime Holds 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.10.03Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! Holds 2nd Annual Telethon
- News2021.09.28Orange Ribbons for Jaime Launches 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.09.27Heron Bay Board Holds Town Forum on Golf Course Development