By: Sharon Aron Baron
After being postponed by Hurricane Irma, the Ocean Conservancy‘s 32 Annual International Coastal Cleanup has set a new date and students seeking service hours are welcome to volunteer.
The next Coastal Cleanup takes place on Saturday, October 7, from 9 a.m. to noon where Broward’s Environmental Planning and Community Resilience Division has organized the beach cleanup at 13 different locations. During the 2016 Coastal Cleanup, 2,875 volunteers removed 7,193 pounds of trash from the coastline while more than 18.4 million pounds of trash was collected by more than 500,000 volunteers worldwide. Together, more than 12 million volunteers have removed more than 228 million pounds of trash over three decades.
The Coastal Cleanup takes at the following locations:
Deerfield: Deerfield Island Park and Deerfield Beach
Dania Beach: Mizell-Johnson State Park and Dania Beach
Ft. Lauderdale: Earl Lifshey Park, Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, and South Beach Park
Hollywood: North Beach Park, Oceanwalk, and Keating Park
Hallandale Beach: South City Beach Park
Children are welcome to take part with the direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian. Organizers encourage volunteers to bring water, snacks and plenty of sunscreen. Cleanup materials are provided by Broward County which include: trash bags, gloves and data cards. Some volunteers are bringing buckets to collect the trash, so that they do not create new waste by using the trash bags.
After a student’s participation, they are eligible to receive an event t-shirt (limited amount) and a community service hours form will signed. Coral Springs and Parkland high school students can register at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your contact information, the site you wish to attend, and the number of people in your group.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.213 Men Arrested for Loitering, Prowling, This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.21Polsky and Grieco Refile Legislation to Ban Conversion Therapy on Minors