By: Sharon Aron Baron
The city is seeking input on a passive park and will be holding a meeting for all interested residents.
The passive park project sits on approximately 2.9 acres along the north side of Holmberg Road and immediately east of Covered Bridge Park. The area has been overrun by invasive exotic vegetation not native to Florida that hinders the healthy growth of native species of trees and foliage.
The first phase of this project, which took place in October 2019, was to remove those invasive species from the area. During this process, native trees were left, and only invasive vegetation was removed.
Replacing the thick wooded brush will ultimately be walkways, a connection with the covered bridge and with the trail to Six Acre Wood Park, areas for friends to gatherer, a meditation area, nature areas, manicured open spaces, entry features, and a gated parking area that will be locked when the park is closed.
The parking lot will not only serve the passive park but will also, for the first time, provide parking that can be used for visitors to Covered Bridge Park and those who access the pathway that connects to Six Acre Wood Park.
The City of Parkland has a conceptual design for this passive park, as depicted by the rendering below. This park is proposed with no bathrooms or lights and would be open only sunrise to sunset. It would have a small, gated parking area accommodating approximately 20 vehicles.
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Amphitheater at Pine Trails Park, the city will be holding a public meeting through a consultant, who will be seeking input and feedback relative to this park.
If you cannot make the meeting, you may Provide Park Feedback Here.
Diagram below of park
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.03.02Broward League of Cities Offering Scholarships to 2021 High School Seniors
- News2021.03.02Live Broward Sheriff’s Office Scanner on Parkland Talk
- News2021.03.02Girl Scout Cookie Sales Are Here: Parkland Locations March 5-7
- News2021.03.01Judge Orders No Bond for Parkland Pediatrician Arrested for Child Porn