By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls basketball isn’t too far off of their biggest winning season when they advanced to regionals back in 2017.
Leading the team this season is first-year head coach Gabriella Middleton. Born in Coral Springs, Middleton played high school basketball at Archbishop McCarthy, her freshman to junior year, then for Piper High School her senior year. After high school, she played college basketball at Post University in Connecticut before accepting the coaching position in Parkland for both the JV and varsity teams.
It has been a rebuilding year for the Eagles, as 11 of 16 players combined between the two teams are freshmen. They have won three games this season against West Broward, J.P. Taravella and Coral Glades High School
“We are a very young team,” said Middleton. “It is a learning season. The girls are working really hard. We are just trying to jell and bring all the girls together as we finish the season.”
Leading the team this season has been senior captain Asa Dykes, who currently leads the team in scoring and has been playing on the varsity team since she was a freshman. Fellow guard, Emily Cashion, has been a sharp-shooter all year and hit two threes Tuesday night against Flanagan High School. She will be continuing her basketball career for Johnson and Wales University in Colorado.
Other seniors on the team consist of Maddie Goodman and Anijah Avera, who are both terrific post players and two of the best rebounders on the team.
With the long holiday, MSD played three games this past week after not being home since Nov. 25. Their final home game of the season will be held on Jan. 14 against Everglades High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor's degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.07.08MSD Grad and Oakland A’s Pitcher Tests Positive for COVID-19
- Schools2020.07.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Coby Mayo Inks Deal with Baltimore Orioles
- News2020.06.12Marjory Stoneman Douglas Prodigy Coby Mayo Drafted by the Major Leagues
- Schools2020.06.01New Coach Steers Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Volleyball in Right Direction Before Shutdown