By Jill Fox
Parent night is being held for those interested in the importance of protecting their children from the potential dangers of the Internet.
The Internet safety session is taking place Wednesday, December 4, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Park Trails Elementary School.
Open to all parents in the Stoneman Douglas zone: this includes Country Hills Elementary, Eagle Ridge Elementary, Heron Heights Elementary, Park Trails Elementary, Riverglades Elementary, Coral Springs Middle, Westglades Middle, and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
The evening will feature Kimberly Young, from the Broward County Public Schools’ Climate & Discipline Department.
Topics include how just one post may haunt a child’s future and how their posts may be used against them. Other topics are preventing over-exposure online, what not to say, as well as protecting children from online sexting, sexual predators, and identity thieves.
Park Trails Elementary Principal Arlene Manville said the principals in the Douglas zone recognize how important it is for parents to monitor their children’s technology usage to ensure that they are safe.
“Being able to offer this session to our parents as part of our zone parent information series is something we all felt was valuable and relevant,” she said.
Parents must bring an ID to the event, as well as a copy of this flyer. Park Trails Elementary School is located at 10700 Trails End, in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.07.07Deputies Get to the Bottom of a Parkland BB Gun Attack
- News2020.07.06Parkland Chamber of Commerce Holds ‘Equity in Business’ Panel
- News2020.07.05Qualifying for Parkland City Commission Districts 1 and 2 Begins July 6
- News2020.07.05Early Morning Fire Damages Parkland Home in Cypress Head