By: Sharon Aron Baron
This weekend, fans will get a treat during The Anthony Rizzo Foundation 5K walk that features the hometown World Series Champion along with entertainment, refreshments, and special guest appearances from local dignitaries and celebrities.
Rizzo is bringing his checkbook and donating a $1 million gift to the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital of Hollywood to establish endowments providing ‘forever funds’ to aid patients and families fighting pediatric cancer in South Florida.
Fighting cancer is personal for Rizzo.
In 2008, at the age of 18, Rizzo, once a Parkland resident and graduate from Marjory Stoneman High School, was starting his career as a professional baseball player when his life came to an abrupt halt. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and had to go through six months of chemotherapy.
Rizzo, now a World Series champion with the Chicago Cubs and the foundation named after him, was created eight years ago as a dream to help families in their darkest days and make a positive impact on the pediatric cancer community.
“We are so grateful that more oncology patients have access to child life specialists to cope with the emotional stress that comes along with cancer treatment,” said the Rizzo family. “Because of your generosity, families can focus on their child’s care instead of their bills.”
Register today for Anthony Rizzo’s 8th Annual Walk-Off for cancer, which takes place in Parkland on Sunday, November 24, 2019.
Rizzo will be attending the walk, which will begin with a presentation at 8:30 a.m., followed by the walk at 9:00 a.m. at Pine Trails Park in Parkland. Net proceeds will benefit the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, the University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, and direct grants to families battling cancer.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2019.12.01Japanese Wrestling Legends Head to South Florida For ‘Seasons Beatings’
- News2019.11.29Professional Hockey Player Selling Parkland Home
- Events2019.11.29Parkland Celebrates ‘Small Business Saturday’ with Special Deals
- News2019.11.24Chicago Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo Raises Funds at Parkland Walk-Off for Pediatric Cancer