By: Matt Rothman
It was a historic day on Tuesday for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas track and field team, with 18 students qualifying for regionals in their meet at Coral Springs High School.
Head Coach Mike Mauro was incredibly proud of the teams, with the girls finishing third and the boys finishing fourth overall.
“These guys and girls have worked so hard since November, and it showed today, said Mauro. “This team brings it every practice and every meet, and I can’t wait to see what we can do at regionals.”
The Eagles had three athletes come in second for the girl’s team, with Sabrina Acevedo competing in the 100 hurdles, while Portis came in second in the 300 hurdles and long jump. Ne’Rya Vassel competed in the high jump.
The lone relay team to advance was Sabrina Acevedo, Jamie Faust, Addison Krajczewski, and Naomi Grissette finished third in the 4 x 100 relay. Arianna Abreu also came in fourth in the 400 meters.
The Eagles’ lone first-place finish came from James Bronzwaig in the javelin. MSD had three relay teams finish in the top four, with Alex Black, Josiah Clapp, Traejon Roberts, and Deandre Moffoord coming in second in the 4 x 400.
Andres Abreu, Clapp, Mofford, and Connor Mazzilli placed third in the 4 x 800 relay, while Alex Black, Roberts, Calvin Fowler III, and Robert Peart finished fourth in the 4 x 100 relay. Joseph Cardinale was the final member to advance after coming in third in the pole vault and fourth in the javelin.
Next, MSD will compete in Regionals on May 7 at Southridge Park in South Miami. States will take place the following week in Gainesville on May. 14.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch
- News2022.05.11Sammy Fisher Recognized With Conference Awards After Freshman Season With Elon Lacrosse
- News2022.05.10Marjory Stoneman Douglas Track and Field Makes Their Mark at Regionals
- News2022.05.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Rallies Back to Win District Championship