By: Matt Rothman
The Original Florida Pokers will hold tryouts at Marjory Stoneman Douglas for three teams during the 2023-24 season.
The Eagles varsity coach Todd Fitz-Gerald will be coaching the 14U team and was also named Director of Baseball for all the teams. They will have tryouts on August 10 at 6:30 p.m. or August 13 at 10 a.m. His assistant coach with MSD, Mike Sandoval, will be coaching the 13U squad. His team is set to host tryouts on August 12 at 9:30 a.m., while Kris Birge will run the 15U team and have tryouts on August 12 at 5 p.m.
“We are excited to name Todd Fitz-Gerald, Director of Baseball for all of our teams 8U-17U,” said Lenny Roberts, founder of the Original Florida Pokers. “His first order of business will be filling the rosters for 13U, 14U, and 15U so these teams can also compete nationally against the best competition we can find to play.”
The Pokers have over four dozen professional players, eight current players, and three on MLB rosters. They also have sent over 400 players to play collegiately and are ranked seventh nationally, with five career National Championships. This past season, the 17U team went 33-1-1 and earned themselves a spot in the WWBA National Championship in Jupiter on October 5-9 at Roger Dean Stadium.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Wins 2023 Pig Bowl For 1st Win Under Coach Hindsley
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Coby Mayo Officially Named MVP of the Eastern League
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Westglades Cross Country Dominate in Week 4 Meet
- NewsSeptember 25, 2023Roman Anthony Named Boston Red Sox Minor League Player of the Year