By Kevin Deutsch
An auto repair shop owner from Parkland was arrested Saturday for stealing state tax money he collected from customers, court records show.
Between Dec. 2018 and Jan. 2021, Azazul Islam, 39, of the 8200 block NW 124th Ter., took in nearly $1.3 million from sales to customers at his business, Shonali Auto Service, which operates under the fictitious name Discount Tire Choice at 1509 Lyons Rd. in Coconut Creek, according to state tax investigators.
Islam collected more than $84,000 in sales tax from customers during that period but paid the state only about $22,000, deliberately withholding about $62,000 from the Florida Department of Revenue, an arrest affidavit states.
Islam was given several chances to pay the taxes he owed and avoid criminal charges but did not comply with state authorities, records show. Investigators said that he also refused to turn over financial records that were later obtained by subpoena.
Records show he was charged with theft of state funds, booked into the Broward County Main Jail, and released on a $7,500 bond.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.09.20Parkland Observes ‘Banned Books Week’ Amid State Crackdown on Reading Materials
- News2022.09.19Parkland Crime Update: Indecent Exposure at Store
- News2022.09.19Parkland Couple Arrested For Stealing From Husband’s Business Partner
- News2022.09.18Broward Schools Seek Applicants Amid Nationwide Worker Shortage