By Jill Fox
The Parkland Basketball Club honors league participants Joaquin Oliver, Luke Hoyer, and Alex Schachter and created three scholarships in their names for high school seniors participating in the Club.
This will be the fourth year the Joaquin Oliver Leadership Award, the Luke Hoyer Sportsmanship Award, and the Alex Schachter Community Assist Award are distributed. Each $2,000 scholarship was established to reflect the characteristics of the three individuals whose lives were stolen.
“It is important that we keep their memories alive, and it is fitting that we do it by recognizing their peers for their sportsmanship and leadership on the court, their excellence in the classroom, and their charitable acts in the community,” said Parkland Basketball Club President Kevin Sirop.
To apply for the annual scholarship awards, students must apply and include a brief 1,500-word essay reflecting on their accomplishments in school, the Parkland Basketball Club, the community, and how each has impacted their lives and the lives of others.
Applicants will be selected on separate criteria for each $2,000 award. The club’s board will select two finalists for each one, and the selection committee will interview each finalist and select the recipient of each scholarship.
High school seniors must submit their applications by March 12, 2021. The applications should include two letters of recommendation from anyone other than a family member and an official copy of their school transcript.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.08.04City Selects Lt. Craig Calavetta As New BSO Parkland District Chief
- News2021.08.04Parkland Residents Host First Local Wine And Food Festival
- News2021.08.04Parkland Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings
- News2021.08.03Parkland Principals, Interim Superintendent Address Parents on August 9