By Jill Fox
Detectives with Parkland’s Broward Sheriff’s Office, along with the assistance of the Regional Investigative Unit arrested several men involved with an armed robbery taking place early Tuesday morning.
In the early morning hours of August 18, two men were exiting the Wawa, at 7705 State Road 7, when two armed suspects approached them.
One of the suspects acted like he had a weapon in his waistband, while the other held out a knife. The suspects demanded the victims’ car keys, and they handed them over. The suspects fled in the 2011 Infiniti G37 at 3:30 a.m.
That day, detectives Jermaine Johnson and Mark Delio from the Broward Sheriff’s Office Crime Suppression Team began searching for the stolen vehicle. Captain Chris Mulligan said the deputies jumped on the case and had an idea of where the car might be.
“They set up on 441, saw the car drive by, and went from there,” he said.
That same evening, the detectives followed the vehicle into an apartment complex in Boca Raton and detained three males, including one juvenile.
They recovered a gun and cocaine from the stolen vehicle and determined one passenger was a participant in the previous day’s robbery; however, the driver and other juvenile passenger were not.
After conducting interviews with the suspects, detectives were able to apprehend the other participant in the armed robbery with the assistance from Regional Investigative Unit Robbery Detective Mark Copley.
Mulligan said it was great teamwork by everyone involved.
“Together, they were able to identify the vehicle, the suspect, and take everyone into custody in just 48 hours,” he said.
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.21Parkland Talk Interviews Jordan Isrow and Derek Olivier: Candidates for City Commission District 2
- News2020.09.174 Parkland Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- Events2020.09.15Parkland Synagogues Prepare for A Virtual New Year
- News2020.09.15Pap Corps Raises Almost $30,000 for Cancer Research