By Jill Fox
From virtual services to holiday drive-bys, Shabbat has been celebrated very differently since Covid-19 began.
As families at Congregation Kol Tikvah are beginning to feel more comfortable with outdoor events, Executive Director Jennifer Levin-Tavares said they wanted to plan something for the community in the park.
“We’ve been trying to do some really big fun events for families out in the community,” she said, “And we’re finally ready for something a little more ambitious than a drive-by.”
Between that and wanting to schedule a community celebration around Israel’s Independence Day, they decided to marry the two.
“We asked the KT Band, and they said yes to a Rock Shabbat in the park,” said Levin-Tavares.
Festivities will begin with dinner and schmoozing at the Pine Trails Amphitheater on Friday, April 16 at 5:30 p.m. with social distancing parameters in place.
They are taking the city’s lead and plan to use hula-hoops or spray paint to separate pod groups.
“We believe in that strongly along with masks,” said Levin-Tavares.
Attendees can either bring their own dinners or pre-order from All-Star Pizza for delivery at the park.
After dinner, a Rock Shabbat service with Rabbi Boxman and the KT Band will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Congregation Kol Tikvah is providing free desserts, flags, and glow sticks for attendees, and everyone should wear white to celebrate Israel.
The Pine Trails Amphitheater is located at 10561 Trails End.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.04.09Linda Beigel Schulman on President Biden’s Executive Actions: ‘I Looked Up And Said To Scott, We Did It!’
- News2021.04.07Parkland Resident Among Six Charged In $21 Million Stock Scheme
- News2021.04.07Local Drop-off for Mitzvah Day Items in Parkland
- News2021.04.06Let’s Have A Round of ‘Appaws’: Woof Gang Bakery Is Coming To Parkland