By: Matt Rothman
It was a great weekend for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrestling team, with Charles Dion winning first place in the Cypress Bay Tournament.
The Eagles finished in second out of 11 teams. They saw David Leiva, Lucca Azzarelli, and Aris Skarecki place second as Azzarelli had a big semifinal win, pinning a state qualifier in the first period.
MSD closed out their dual meet season earlier in the week by defeating McArthur, Nova, and South Plantation High School to finish 15-2.
“The team really stayed together all season, and they built their success off of one another, said Head Coach Ken Gendason. “Winning the first tournament of the season set the tempo of what they believed they could accomplish, and they never looked back.”
Next, MSD will compete in Districts on February 17 at Fort Lauderdale High School.
“No matter what the final outcome this season, this wrestling team was a lot of fun to coach this season, and most of the team returns back next season,” Gendason added.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Regionals Championship Behind Clemente’s 3 Run Homer
- News2022.05.172 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Players Make Their Commitment Official
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Kyanne Meredith Ties Personal Best in State Championships
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch