By Bryan Boggiano
After a history-making season, the Parkland City Commission recognized the legendary Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagles Baseball Team’s achievements at their Aug. 16 meeting.
The honor comes as the team collected a handful of accolades in 2023, including district champions, regional champions, and state champions. In June, Baseball America crowned the baseball team with the national championship title, making it its third consecutive victory.
In their most recent season, The Eagles won all 29 games and went undefeated, becoming the first public school in the state to achieve that milestone. Over the past three years, The Eagles’ overall score record was 87-5.
Their state championship title also marked the team’s third consecutive victory at that level.
“This group of young men, these coaches, this program has [continued] and continues to turn out amazing talent,” said Vice Mayor Simeon Brier. “Many of them are being seen in our major league and minor league systems right now.”
In his remarks, head coach Todd Fitz-Gerald commended the hard work of his players and staff and encouraged community members to come out and watch the team in action.
The National High School Baseball Coach’s Association named Fitz-Gerald 2023 Coach of the Year for his accomplishments.
“None of this is possible without these guys and my great coaching staff,” he said. “I am who I am because I surround myself with great people, great administration, and great staff, and we have great support from the community.”
- A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan plans to pursue geosciences at Florida International University for his master's. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.
- NewsSeptember 18, 2023Parkland Commission Backs New District Plan Reflecting Population Shifts
- NewsSeptember 6, 2023Unlock Your Inner Coder: Students Get a Chance to Shine in the 2023 Congressional App Challenge
- NewsSeptember 6, 2023Parkland Commissioner Receives Gold Certificate of Excellence from Florida League of Cities University
- NewsSeptember 5, 2023Rep. Jared Moskowitz Urges Congress to Increase FEMA Funding