By Jill Fox
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Eagle Regiment brought home the Class 4A State Championship on Sunday.
At the Florida Marching Band Championship (FMBC) in Ocala, the Eagle Regiment earned their title with a score of 92.20 over University High School of Orlando’s 92.10.
After the students performed, Band Director Steve Rivero said that he could see it in their faces, “They just knew it was incredible.”
This is the school’s first win under Rivero, who joined the MSD family in 2019 following their back-to-back state championships.
“To conclude the season like this is nothing short of amazing,” said Rivero.
Due to the pandemic, he said the freshmen and sophomores had never even marched before.
Rivero’s son, Robert, arranged the music for “Très Opulent,” a production channeling Marie Antoinette, described as “classical with a fresh twist.”
This season, the band comprised of 129 students, earned three Grand Champion Awards at the Florida Marching Band Regional Championships, including The Jupiter Festival of Bands on November 6, The Lancer Jamboree on October 9, and The Falcon Sound Invitational on October 2.
“It was an incredible weekend capped off by an incredible season,” said Rivero.
In addition to their undefeated season, the Eagle Regiment was also recognized for having a best-in-class color guard, best-in-class music, and best-in-class general effect.
“I’m happy the seniors were able to experience that feeling again, and now the rest of the band knows the feeling too,” he said.
The next steps for the Eagle Regiment include applying for consideration for the 2023 Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. Rivero said they are looking at participating in a few regional national level competitions in 2022 and grand nationals the following year, in addition to performing in the London New Year’s Parade in 2023.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer