By: Sharon Aron Baron
Parkland resident Alaina Petty, was 14 years-old when her life was taken by gunman. Petty was involved in the school’s JROTC program and spent countless hours volunteering for the ‘Helping Hands’ program of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Alaina was part of hundreds of volunteers that rushed to the most heavily impacted areas of Florida to clean up and help rebuild the lives of those devastated by Hurricane Irma. Her parents Ryan and Kelly Petty, together with their children, have expressed great love and appreciation for all those who have reached out with care and concern for their family during this difficult time.
They invite those in the community, law enforcement, classmates, teachers, and their church family to attend the services to honor and celebrate Alaina and share their confidence of an eternal reunion with her someday.
They are grateful for the space they have been given by the media and trust that they will continue to honor their requests for privacy as they find a balance between their grief and their desire to have Alaina’s story told.
The funeral service will be held on Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11 a.m. at the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 10148 NW 31st St, Coral Springs.
Reporters are respectfully invited to remain outside the building during the service. Parking for media vehicles will be reserved in the southeast corner of the church parking lot. Upon arrival, check in at the church, by the doors on the south side of the building.
The family requests privacy at the burial with no media in the vicinity of the graveside services.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.16FSU College of Medicine Holds Virtual Summer Institute for High School Students
- Events2021.01.15Parkland Honors Martin Luther King Jr. with Special Tribute
- Crime & Safety2021.01.14Parkland Crime Update Through January 11
- News2021.01.13Bill Filed to Rename Conservation Area in Memory of Environmental Champion Kristin Jacob