By: Sharon Aron Baron
The dismal weather didn’t keep the men and women away from the Greater Broward Chapter of the Pap Corps event Sunday at the Parkland Golf & Country Club.
Called the “Reflect, Renew, Recharge Breakfast” special guest speaker was expert breast health doctor, Alejandra Perez, M.D who discussed breast health.
Board member Janice Weinsoff who has three sisters with breast cancer, including an identical twin sister, said it was a topic she wanted to hear about to see if there was any new information.
“When we get these doctors to talk to us, it’s so important. I know I could be next,” said Weinsoff, who is cancer-free.
The Pap Corps, Champions for Cancer Research is one of the largest, grassroots fundraising organizations in South Florida with more than 50 chapters and 21,000 members, all dedicated to supporting research for all types of cancer at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Since 1952, The Pap Corps has donated almost $60 million dollars.
In 2010, the Greater Broward Chapter was started with approximately 20 members. During the past six years, membership has increased by more than 900 percent as the chapter expanded its membership to over 250 men and women in the Parkland, Coral Springs and Coconut Creek area.
At the breakfast event, Parkland Mayor Christine Hunschofsky made a quick presentation, then outgoing president Lori Margolis and executive vice president Michele McMahon presented a year in review before new board members were installed for the next year.
Events won’t resume until the fall, however, this summer they have a “Summer Staycation” fundraising event, where donations reaching $10,000 will be matched by the Levitetz Family Foundation. Details at Greater Broward Pap Corps
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsDecember 10, 2023Parkland’s Farmers’ Market Features Craft Fair on Dec. 17
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Anthony Rizzo’s 12th Annual Walk-Off for Cancer Raises Over $1.3 Million
- NewsNovember 28, 2023Parkland’s Farmers’ Market Includes Craft Fair on Sunday
- NewsNovember 26, 2023Holiday Bingo Event Support’s Baseball’s Team’s 2024 Trip to Cooperstown