By Sharon Aron Baron
A Parkland resident arrested on child pornography charges will not be allowed to leave jail anytime soon.
On Tuesday, a federal magistrate judge in Ft. Lauderdale ordered South Florida pediatrician Michael Mizrachy, 49, of Parkland, held without bond pending trial on a federal charge of possession of child pornography.
According to the federal criminal complaint affidavit, in June 2020, the South Florida Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force received a CyberTip from the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children about files depicting child pornography being uploaded to an e-mail account, including a video of a prepubescent child being sexually abused.
An investigation led law enforcement to Mizrachy, who worked as a pediatrician in Broward County.
The affidavit alleges that during the execution of a search warrant at Mizrachy’s home in Parkland, law enforcement officers obtained evidence that Mizrachy used an instant messenger application to obtain child pornography and communicate with minors about sex.
During a hearing today in Ft. Lauderdale, U.S. Magistrate Judge Alicia O. Valle ordered pre-trial detention for Mizrachy, meaning he will remain in custody pending his federal trial.
If convicted on the federal charge, Mizrachy faces up to 20 years in prison. Mizrachy also faces a pending state criminal case in connection with the alleged conduct.
This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood (PSC), a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.
Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals, who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.04.08Gov Demands End to Cruise No-Sail Order: Announces Lawsuit against Federal Government, CDC
- News2021.04.07Parkland Crime Update Through April 5
- News2021.04.065th Annual Orchid and Plant Festival Held at the Sawgrass Nature Center in Coral Springs
- News2021.04.06Rep. Ted Deutch on the Death of Alcee Hastings: ‘I’m Heartbroken at the Passing of my Dear Friend’