By Kevin Deutsch
A man was arrested on drug and gun charges after police caught him sleeping in a U-haul truck parked directly in front of the Coconut Creek Police Department, court records show.
An officer woke Austin Tyciak, 30, of Coconut Creek, as he lay sleeping face down on the driver’s seat of the Chevy pickup on Feb. 28, according to an arrest affidavit. He spotted a firearm in Tyciak’s waistband, a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Shield, for which Tyciak did not have a permit, records show.
A check of Tyciak’s criminal history revealed he was a two-time convicted felon in Florida, police said.
When the officer frisked Tyciak, he discovered capsuled heroin and Xanax pills, records show.
Tyciak was arrested on charges of carrying a concealed firearm, possession of heroin, possession of alprazolam, and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.
According to court records, he was booked into the Broward Main Jail and released on a $3,000 bond.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.26Parkland Crime Update: Fraud and Criminal Mischief
- News2022.12.17Parkland Crime Update: Child Injured After Pulling Down Soccer Goal Post
- News2022.12.10Parkland Crime Update: Child Trapped in Closet and Pokemon Card Dispute
- News2022.12.05Parkland Crime Update: Victim Blackmailed Over His Nude Photos