By: Matt Rothman.
The Eagles last won in 2016, when they defeated Christoper Columbus High School. This year, MSD had the chance to play Columbus in the State Semifinals, winning 3-2 after success in the District and Regional Championship.
This was the 28th win for the Eagles this season — the most in school history.
On the mound was Christian Arroyo, who pitched one of his best games with MSD. Not only did he throw 5.2 innings allowing one run, but he also drove in the team’s first run of the game with a sacrifice fly.
Arroyo then drove in the game-winning run with a single to score Jake Clemente in the sixth. The Eagles then added three huge insurance runs as Rolando Lujo knocked in a run. Right after, Arroyo came around to score on a passed ball, and then Niko Benestad drove in another run to make it 5-1.
Sam Beir ended up the winning pitcher as he recorded an out in the sixth and then three more in the seventh to close the game.
— Perfect Game Florida (@Florida_PG) May 22, 2021
Saturday’s game was also the final one for several seniors in Rolando Lujo, Conticello, Von Smeltzer, Aiden Williams, Chris McKenna, Tyler Novik, Connor Hagen, Aiden Minott, and Kyle Morse as they are going out as State Champions.
Still, the Eagles will return a talented group of players to their team in 2022. MSD has their top four pitchers set to come back as well as six of their nine starting position players.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.09.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Coral Glades Compete in Swim Meet With Cypress Bay
- News2021.09.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wide Receiver Hervin Louis Selected to All-Star Game
- News2021.09.11Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Leads Before Game was Suspended
- News2021.09.09Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Cross Country Win 1st BCAA Meet