By: Matt Rothman
The tournament began on Saturday, March 21, as the Eagles defeated Hollywood Hills High School 16-0, Charles W. Flanagan High School 8-1, Cypress Bay High School 12-2, and Somerset Academy 12-0 in the championship game.
Tyler Novik started the opening game on Saturday and earned the win with three hitless innings. He stuck out five as Aidan Minott hit a home run. Gavin Conticello had three hits and drove in four runs, while Chris McKenna, Minott, and Christian Rodriguez all drove in a pair of runs.
On Monday, the Eagles played Flanagan as Sam Beir was on the mound. Derek Rodriguez came out of the bullpen to earn the win going 4.2 innings. Nikko Benestad drove in two runs, while Conticello, Cameron Harris, and Santiago Ordonez also plated a run.
The following day, MSD faced Cypress Bay, who came into the season with seven wins in their first ten games and had a memorable performance from Jake Clemente. The junior hit a pair of home runs and tallied five RBI’s. Ordonez, Roman Anthony, and Christian Arroyo picked up runs batted in while Christian Rodriguez pitched a five-inning complete game with nine punch-outs.
In the championship game, MSD only needed four innings to win but go a no-hitter in the victory.
With the four straight wins during Spring Break, the Eagles baseball team is on a ten-game winning streak and has won 15 of their first 16 games this year. MSD is currently ranked 19th in the country according to Max Preps and will next be in action on Wednesday, March 30, when they take on West Broward High School at 4 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final