By: Matt Rothman
Nearly 11 months after winning their secondin five years, Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball won the National High School Invitational on Saturday.
Held in Cary, North Carolina, home of USA Baseball, the tournament was invite only and brought together 16 of the top High Schools team in the county. MSD not only won all four games but outscored their opponents 43-4, defeating D.H. Conley (North Carolina),(California), (California), and (Florida).
“It was great to be able to play against the top teams in the country and perform the way we did,” said Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald. “It says a lot about our kids and shows their resiliency.”
The Eagles had acommit, making the start in all four games. Christian Rodriguez, Chris Arroyo, , and Jacob Gomberg started and pitched 16.2 innings, allowing only four runs and striking out 18. Eduardo Fuentes and pitched in relief and did not allow a run, while Arroyo came back on Saturday to record the final four outs in the Championship Game.
— SD Eagles Baseball (@SDEagleBaseball) April 10, 2022
Offensively, MSD scored 43 runs in the four games, with Arroyo leading the way with nine runs batted in. Rylan Lujo andhad six, while Clemente, Anthony, Rodriguez, Cameron Harris, Niko Benestad, and recorded 21 RBIs.
With Arroyo’s performance on the mound and at the plate, he was named Most Valuable Player. Anthony and Rodriguez were also selected to the All-Tournament Team.
“It is just amazing what our family can do with our offense and staff,” Arroyo said. “Impressive to watch. [I] Could not be happier for my teammates and coaches. We are still chasing a ring, though.”
MSD improved its record to 16-2 and returns to Parkland on Wednesday, April 13, in a game against Archbishop McCarthy High School at 6:30 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 award-winning news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Regionals Championship Behind Clemente’s 3 Run Homer
- News2022.05.172 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Players Make Their Commitment Official
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Kyanne Meredith Ties Personal Best in State Championships
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch