By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cross Country Team had a great season and had a chance to compete in the Tri-County Championships Saturday morning.
The Eagles qualified as a team as the boys finished in 13th place, fifth among Broward County Schools. Alex Miller had a personal record of 17:14, which was good for nineteenth place individually and just short of a medal.
Connor and Walker Greep, along with Brett Lickerman, Landon Kefford, and Quinn McCluskey, all finished in the top-100. Landon is the son of MSD Principal Michelle Kefford.
For the girls, the Eagles finished just ahead of Cypress Bay High School for eight place after MSD’s number six runner, Devyn Sanders, raced quicker than Cypress Bay’s sixth runner.
Gabrielle Greenwald placed in 11th place and set a personal record with a time of 21:35.47. Arianna Abreu and Gabrielle Fisher finished second and third respectively on the team, and Esther Bang and Olivia Zeff finished within a second of each other to place in the top-76. Sophia Torres was the next Eagle to finish, and Sophia Diaz set a personal best of 28.11.32.
“I was extremely happy with how the team performed all year, working hard while following the demanding COVID-19 safety protocols,’ said Head Coach Bob Oelschlager. “They pulled together and developed a great rapport within their respective pod training groups.”
Both these teams had incredible seasons and picked up runner-up trophies at the Time-Spann Invitational. They also both won the Broward County North Regional Qualifier to go through to the Tri-County Championship.
The boys, though, have ten seniors getting set to graduate this year, while the girl’s team will likely return their entire team next season as they have no seniors on their roster.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States