By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls varsity golf team won the district championship this week following some incredible performances from many individuals.
The Eagles carried five players with them to the district tournament, where the top four scores from each team were tallied.
“We have more depth this year than I have ever had as a coach,” said head coach Devin Schaller. “We have really good team chemistry. Everybody gets along with everybody, but they support each other.”
Sophomore Amelia Novoa shot a 72, which was good enough to lead the team in districts. She has had an incredible year in her first season on the varsity golf team but gives credit to her teammates.
“There’s not one player that carries the team,” Novoa said. “We have a great group of players this year. I think we have a real shot at regionals. And I’m excited to see if we make it to states. A win like that could be great for all of us. I hope we make our school proud.”
MSD had two players shoot 74’s in Makayla Chau and Cynthia Liu, and got 87’s from both Madison Lenard and Olivia Alvarez for a team total of 307. Chau, the lone senior among the five, has had a fantastic year with dreams of playing at the next level.
The team finished the regular season with a record of 8-2 and played well in the BCAA Championship coming in the first place.
They will play in regionals on Tuesday at 8 a.m. with the top two teams advancing to States at Eagle Trace Golf Club in Coral Springs.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 10U Baseball Team Hold Tryouts at Pine Trails Park