By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls varsity golf team won the district championship this week following some incredible performances from many individuals.
The Eagles carried five players with them to the district tournament, where the top four scores from each team were tallied.
“We have more depth this year than I have ever had as a coach,” said head coach Devin Schaller. “We have really good team chemistry. Everybody gets along with everybody, but they support each other.”
Sophomore Amelia Novoa shot a 72, which was good enough to lead the team in districts. She has had an incredible year in her first season on the varsity golf team but gives credit to her teammates.
“There’s not one player that carries the team,” Novoa said. “We have a great group of players this year. I think we have a real shot at regionals. And I’m excited to see if we make it to states. A win like that could be great for all of us. I hope we make our school proud.”
MSD had two players shoot 74’s in Makayla Chau and Cynthia Liu, and got 87’s from both Madison Lenard and Olivia Alvarez for a team total of 307. Chau, the lone senior among the five, has had a fantastic year with dreams of playing at the next level.
The team finished the regular season with a record of 8-2 and played well in the BCAA Championship coming in the first place.
They will play in regionals on Tuesday at 8 a.m. with the top two teams advancing to States at Eagle Trace Golf Club in Coral Springs.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.19Westglades Middle School Girls Golf Team Wins MSAA Championship
- News2021.10.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Advances to District Championship
- News2021.10.18Westglades Middle School Scores Girls Soccer Scores 8 Goals to Win MSAA Championship
- News2021.10.18Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Team Wins Playoff Opener