By: Matt Rothman
A 2016 Marjory Stoneman Douglas graduate is fighting for his life after he was one of four victims attacked in Coconut Creek leaving two people dead.
On August 24, Craig Newman and his girlfriend, Hannah Bonta, also an MSD graduate, were attacked in Coconut Creek. Bonta and her mother Jan Kirkland were both stabbed to death. Coconut Creek Police Officer Andrew Renna was also injured after being struck by gunshots after arriving at the scene. A pit bull was also found dead.
Craig’s father, Scott Newman, provided an update:
“My son is recovering nicely from his life-threatening injuries. Craig had the courage, determination, and the will to survive that every one of us hopes to have. He is a young man that is enthusiastic, loving, caring, always on the go, and I am so proud of him. He is a miracle, and we are so blessed that we can still hug our son.”
Craig has undergone two surgeries and needs support to continue his recovery. The Parson family created a GoFundMe with the assistance from Eagles Landing Camps to help with Craig’s physical and emotional recovery. Donations have generated over $19,000.
Currently enrolled at Broward Community College, Craig has been a staple at Eagles Landing Camp and the Night Owls for the past nine years during his summers. He is a huge sports fan supporting many New York sports teams including the New York Yankees, Rangers, and Giants. He also loves video games and music.
For those that are interested in attending for Bonta and Kirkland’s funeral, there will be a gathering at The Coral Springs Funeral Home at 1420 N University Dr #6040 on Friday, September 6, from 2:00-4:00 p.m. with the Memorial Service from 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Concludes Week With MLK Tournament Win
- News2022.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Wins Regional Championship
- News2022.01.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Soccer Win in District Championship Rematch